Built around 1140, St. Peter’s church holds the title as the oldest building on Hayling, as well as casting what is believed to be the oldest peel in England from three three brass bells suspended wooden axles and half wheels . The tenor bell has been dated by the Whitechapel Foundry as from about 1350. St. Peter’s originally served as a “chapel of ease” providing a place of worship for those who lived and worked at North Hayling and were some distance from where the Priory Church stood before the floods of the thirteenth / fourteenth century.
The church was built without foundations with its internal pillars supported on large sarsen stone (Boulders believed to have been deposited by transitory ice some 75,000 years ago). Large external buttresses were added to the church in both the thirteenth and fourteenth centuries to provide extra support to the church walls.
The south east walls and buttresses have three sundials carved into them, used for timing church services in times before mechanical timepieces. The south east corner buttress of the chancel also has a pentangle carved into the stone, the medieval sign of witchcraft.